Thursday, October 8, 2015

Chocolate Pie

7 Carb Chocolate Pie
(Seriously, the entire pie is 7 carbs... all of it.)



I'm going to be frank with you, I really don't like pie. Something about the crust just doesn't do it for me. Because of that I've never made a regular pie. That being said, as I type this, I am consuming a piece of chocolate pie so incredibly wonderful that it was kidnapped for consumption by those of us in the household who don't eat low carb.




                                             ______________________________________
This particular pie is an incredibly rich dessert. The crust has a wonderful dark chocolate flavor, remarkably reminiscent of brownie (which it may be altered into in the very near future....). The filling is light and creamy, very much like chocolate mousse. We cut the pie into eighths, and even that was a little bit too much as rich as it was. Each of the eight slices of the pie have .8 carbs
I'm sure you're ready to eat this yourself, so without further delay... Chocolate Pie!

Crust: (Thank you to Sugar Free Mom for the base recipe)





2 cups Almond Flour
1/8th Tsp of salt 
3 tbsp of butter 
1/4 cup of cocoa powder 
2 tsp Splenda (This can be eliminated for less carbs*)
1/8 tsp Stevita Cinnamon Sweetener
1/8 tsp Stevita Vanilla Sweetener

Combine all dry ingredients, add butter, (melted) egg and stevita flavorings. Press into a greased and powdered pan (use cocoa powder) perferate with fork and minutes bake for 12 at 350 degrees. Cool before filling.


Filling:
2 cups of Heavy Cream 
3 egg whites
2/3 cup of cocoa powder (make sure your cocoa is zero carb!)
2 tsp of Splenda 
1 tsp chilled coffee (does not add coffee flavor, richens the chocolate)

Combine ingredients, beat until fluffy.

Chocolate Garnish:




100% chocolate bar
1/8 tsp of stevia sweetener


Melt chocolate, add sweetener (this is a good place to add fat if you need. 1 tsp olive oil) allow to harden in chocolate mold (or ice cub trays but do not freeze)  grate chocolate over pie filling as garnish.


*
We chose to do part Splenda, part Stevia because we find that straight stevia has a tendency to be more bitter. You are welcome to use straight Stevia, or combine it with your own choice of sweeteners. 



Enjoy!


Edit: A note from CJ, if you let the pie sit over night, the crust becomes even more brownie like. He likes it better.

27 comments:

  1. You say egg in crust, but it isn't in the list? Just add 1 egg or egg white.. Just curious thanks..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wondering also. Have you tried it

      Delete
    2. I'm wondering also. Have you tried it

      Delete
    3. I did yesterday. On a scale of 1-10 ... it gets a 1. Even my husband who loves dark chocolate did not like it. Was very sad. We were looking forward to this.

      Delete
  2. In the original recipe from sugar free mom, there's an egg in the crust ingredients.
    I think it was omitted in error from this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the original recipe from sugar free mom, there's an egg in the crust ingredients.
    I think it was omitted in error from this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I logged the recipe in myfitnesspal minus the splenda. I got 6 net carbs a slice (1/8 of pie). Still good. But I wanted to let you know and see if maybe I did something wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HWC is .5 carbs per tbsp, when you use two cups it comes out to 15 carbs. My Almond flour was 16 carbs for two cups. It still comes out to 5.6 carbs per 1/8th of the pie which isn't bad. :) Crust is cooling... fingers are crossed. I seriously need a chocolate fix.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd like to know where one finds zero carb cocoa powder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grocery store. It's powdered bakers chocolate. Or health food stores. Amazon sells a natural caco powder.

      Delete
    2. Maybe you could post link to 0 carb cocoa powder or mention a name brand?? ...have never seen or heard of it ...there are always some carbs. ...seriously, I think you need to recalculate the carbs in this recipe ...almond flour & heavy whipping cream all have carbs & you don't seem to have accounted for them. Cream has .5-1 per TBL (and we are using 2 cups here), almond flour has 2-3 net carbs per 1/4 cup (and again, we are using 2 cups) ...maybe I missing something? I truly don't intend to be harsh or rude ...but I think this pie is 6 or 7 per piece, not the whole pie ??? :)

      Delete
    3. FYI some Heavy Whipping Cream brands have 0 carbs

      Delete
    4. Yes, the label states that per T. But they are allowed to say "0" when it's really 0.5 There ARE carbs no matter what your label states in HWC

      Delete
  7. I am a diabetic so i am looking for new recipes to try, will definitely try it. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This pie tastes amazing, however the carb count is way off. Please fix this so it's not misleading, there's no possible way so much almond flour and HWC could be so little carbs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to try this recipe but the nutrition facts of the almond flour is 3 net grams of carbs per 1/4 cup. So idk if it's for real 7 carbs in total

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to try this recipe but the nutrition facts of the almond flour is 3 net grams of carbs per 1/4 cup. So idk if it's for real 7 carbs in total

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to try this recipe but the nutrition facts of the almond flour is 3 net grams of carbs per 1/4 cup. So idk if it's for real 7 carbs in total

    ReplyDelete
  12. Did anyone else have trouble getting there's to whip? I literally whipped mine for 15 minutes and it's thin as ever and will not harden?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whip the cream separately, then fold in the other ingredients which you have combined beforehand...I make SF ice cream and that is how I get it fluffy before freezing...

    ReplyDelete
  14. This beautiful CHOCOLATE pie does sound amazing and will be on the table for a Hump Day Treat! Hope my husband doesn't inhale the whole pie before I can plate up a slice! I love CHOCOLATE!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The pure, organic cacao powder that I found has 1 net carb per TABLESPOON.
    Where do I find one that's carb-less?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Here is a link to the zero net carb baking cocoa to which the author refers: https://www.vitacost.com/equal-exchange-organic-baking-cocoa

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've inputed all the ingredients into MFP and the carb contend alone for almond flour alone was 56 carbs and heavy cream is 8 so confused where the 7carb in whole pie comes from.

    ReplyDelete

  18. I input the ingredients into a nutrition calculator. Here is the breakdown for 1/8 of the pie:


    Nutrition Facts
    Servings: 8
    Per Serving % Daily Value*
    Calories 217
    Total Fat 20.1g 26%
    Saturated Fat 10.7g 53%
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 53mg 19%
    Sodium 59mg 3%
    Potassium 291mg 6%
    Total Carb 8.8g 3%
    Dietary Fiber 3.7g 13%
    Sugars 1.3g
    Protein 5.3g
    Vitamin A 19% · Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 3% · Iron 9%

    ReplyDelete